Recent IEEE Xplore Enhancements
IEEE Xplore has some new and exciting enhancements your organization can use to get the most out of your subscription.
Just as the content within IEEE Xplore grows each year, the platform is also constantly being upgraded to enable users to easily find and discover the solutions they need with robust search tools, convenient access options, and a mobile optimized experience that ensures users can access the information they need, when they need it.
Following are some of the most recent and upcoming enhancements to the platform:
Enhanced Author Records make it easier than ever to find documents by specific authors
Author Disambiguation Project
Recently, the results of a large scale author disambiguation project were made available in IEEE Xplore. Author disambiguation identifies all articles written by a given author and distinguishes between authors with the same name. Searches yield results for each variation of an author name. Author names are now standardized with First Name, Middle Initial (where available), and Last Name (for example: John M. Smith). This project is ongoing with more author records in the database being processed each day.
ORCID Author ID Integration
IEEE Xplore now uses third-party ORCID Author IDs to connect document authors with their Education, Employment, and Work history. This system ensures that authors are accurately identified by unique accounts that are created and curated by the authors themselves on the ORCID website.
Alerts will now be sent to authors when their papers are published in IEEE Xplore.
Secondary Author Affiliations
These affiliations will display on the article details page. You will also be able to search for secondary authors based on their affiliation (as a user would for a primary author).
Standards in HTML
With a dynamic interactive design, HTML-formatted articles redefine how IEEE publications are displayed online. Over the past few years, IEEE has successfully converted more than 2 million articles to this robust format. With this new design now applied to IEEE standards, you are able to:
- Scan and interpret standards documents more easily
- Navigate between sections with an interactive table of contents and intuitive floating navigation - quickly search within a standard
- Access via mobile device with a modern mobile-friendly design
- Easily explore text, figures, equations, and multimedia files
- Review the evolution of a standard with links to prior versions
Enhanced User Interface
Unified Abstract/Full-Text HTML
The new article detail page combines the abstract view with full-text HTML. This design provides all important document information on a single page. Citations and number of full-text views are showcased to give an indication of the document's popularity. Related articles are displayed prominently so you can easily navigate to other documents of interest to expand your research and discover other content to support your efforts.
Updated navigational tabs are now available to quickly link to specific article information, including abstract, authors, figures, references, citations, keywords, metrics, and related media files.
Inclusion of Article Usage Metrics from Altmetrics
IEEE Xplore now includes Altmetric-powered news and social media data for many IEEE and IET journal articles. These metrics are displayed in article abstracts in the Metrics tab and indicate the number of times an article has been downloaded and viewed via IEEE Xplore or shared via social media.
IEEE Xplore article detail pages have historically listed an article’s patent references from the US and European patent offices. Now view nearly 3 million patent references from the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). These additional citations will capture references to IEEE literature from China and other Asian sources, as well as those from US and Europe.
- IEEE Xplore API - enables time saving integration with user and organizational tools and workflows
- Citation Alerts - enables authors to be notified when their work is cited
- Institutional Dashboard - option to easily discover topics and articles of interest to other users within your organization
- My IEEE Xplore App - convenient way to stay current on new papers in fields of interest
- Image Search - easily search millions of images within IEEE Xplore
- Author Profiles - provides instant access to all the professional information known about authors from the publications record